Join a Board

The Land and Water Boards of the Mackenzie Valley are examples of public committees, boards and councils (public boards). These public boards have been created through legislation, intergovernmental agreements, or government policy.  Appointments to the Land and Water Boards are made by the Government of the Northwest Territories, the Government of Canada, and by Indigenous governments. Appointed members serve a term of three (3) years, and may serve continuous, consecutive terms. 

Serving on a public board can be a rewarding experience. The public boards play an important role from providing advice to government, to managing public programs.  In order for the public boards to fulfill their mandate, they must be made up of members who are qualified for the position and are committed to undertake the work of the board.

Government of the Northwest Territories

Appointments to public boards by the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) are made by Cabinet, the Commissioner in Executive Council or the responsible Minister(s).

The GNWT is always looking for potential members to serve on the various public boards and encourages individuals interested to consider submitting an Expression of Interest form. The selection of successful candidates will be based on a balance of their work history, skills, community involvement, other life experience relevant to the position, and the particular needs of each board.  During the appointment process and depending on the board, the applicant may be asked to undergo relevant background and records check.


Government of Canada

Help protect, manage, and develop resources in the NWT. [En français à suivre]

Comprehensive Land Claim Agreements led to the creation of resource management boards and dispute resolution panels across the territory. The Government of Canada is looking for dynamic people who are interested in serving on these boards and panels.

  • Environmental Impact Review Board for the Inuvialuit Settlement Region
  • Environmental Impact Screening Committee for the Inuvialuit Settlement Region
  • Gwich’in Arbitration Panel
  • Gwich’in Land and Water Board
  • Gwich’in Land Use Planning Board
  • Inuvialuit Water Board
  • Mackenzie Valley Land and Water Board
  • Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board
  • Sahtu Arbitration Panel
  • Sahtu Land and Water Board
  • Sahtu Land Use Planning Board
  • Wek’èezhìi Land and Water Board
  • Wek’èezhìi Renewable Resources Board

To express your interest, submit a letter clearly indicating:

  • which entity(s) you are interested in serving (maximum of 5), setting out your relevant knowledge and experience, and self-identifying as a member of one of the groups identified below (optional)
  • if applicable, an explanation of any potential real or apparent conflict(s) of interest
  • a detailed, up-to-date résumé that includes contact information

Appointed members must be able to the handle the fluctuating workload of the boards and panels. Elected officials of municipal, Indigenous, territorial, and federal governments may not be eligible for appointment.

Appointments are for set three-year terms, except for the arbitration panels that are set for five years. All appointments are subject to a code of conduct. Appointees will receive remuneration for days served and travel expenses.

All candidates proposed for appointment must undergo a federal security clearance, including the provision of fingerprints and a credit check. Interviews may also be conducted.

The Government of Canada commits to appointing highly qualified members who reflect Canada’s diversity. As such, we encourage applicants to self-identify as members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Priority may be given to residents of the Northwest Territories.

Please send your letter and résumé to:

Robert Holliday, Project Leader – Board Relations
Governance and Partnerships Directorate
Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
NWT Regional Office
PO Box 1500
Yellowknife NT X1A 2R3

If you have further questions about these entities, the opportunities, or the code of conduct, contact Robert Holliday at 867-669-2564 or by email at

Gwich'in Tribal Council



Updated: 26/04/2018