Applicants for Land Use Permits and Water Licences are encouraged to be familiar with the Acts and Regulations that govern the use of land and water, and the deposit of waste in the Mackenzie Valley. The Resources section of our website is dedicated to providing helpful and accurate information to all stakeholders. If you have ideas for content that would be helpful, please contact Simon Whitehouse via email.
- LWB Engagement and Consultation Policy (2023).
- Information for Proponents on the MVLWB's Engagement Requirements
- LWB Waste and Wastewater Management Policy (2023).
- LWB Water Use Fee Policy (2021).
- LWB Transboundary Policy (2019)
- LWB Guide to the Land Use Permitting Process (2023).
- LWB Guide to the Water Licensing Process (2023).
- LWB Engagement Guidelines for Applicants and Holders of Water Licences and Land Use Permits (2018).
- LWB Guidelines for Developing a Waste Management Plan (2011).
- LWB Guideline for the Design, Operation, Monitoring, Maintenance and Closure of Petroleum Hydrocarbon-Contaminated Soil Treatment Facilities in the Northwest Territories (2020).
- LWB/GNWT Guidelines for Effluent Mixing Zones (2023).
- LWB/GNWT Guidelines for Aquatic Effects Monitoring Programs (2019).
- LWB Guidelines for the Closure and Reclamation of Advanced Mineral Exploration and Mine Sites in the Northwest Territories (2013).
- LWB/GNWT/CIRNAC Guidelines for Closure and Reclamation Cost Estimates for Mines (2022).
- MVEIRB Guidelines for Incorporating Traditional Knowledge in Environmental Impact Assessment (2005).
- LWB Document Submission Standards (2023).
- LWB Geospatial Data Submission Standards (2021).
- LWB Standard Outline for Management Plans (2021).
- LWB Standard Land Use Permit Conditions Template - Version 2.3 (.word) (.pdf) (2020).
- LWB Standard Water Licence Conditions and Schedules - Version 2.0 (.word) (.pdf) (2023).
- LWB Standard Process for New Conditions (2013).
- LWB Method for Determining Winter Water Source Capacity for Small-Scale Developments (2021).
- LWB Technical Reference Document for the Method for Determining Available Winter Water Volumes for Small-Scale Developments (2021).
- Lake Set Data (updated version of Appendix A of Technical Reference Document) to Support LWB Winter Water Source Method (2023).
- Copy of Complete Lake Dataset to Support LWB Winter Water Source Method (2023).
- LWB Standard Process for Setting Effluent Quality Criteria (2023)
- GNWT Standards for Reporting Water Quality Information (2020).
MVLWB/GNWT Operation and Maintenance Plan Templates for Municipal Water Licences:
- Sewage Disposal Facilities (SDF) (2018).
- Solid Waste Disposal Facilities (SWDF) (2018).
- Water Treatment Plant (WTP) (2018).
- Spill Contingency Plan (2018).
Determinations and Decisions
- LWB Reasons for Decision on the Interpretation of Subsection 26 of the MVLUR - April 22_21
- LWB City of Yellowknife Determination – Aug 18_11
- Frequently Asked Questions – City of Yellowknife Determination
Memorandums of Understanding
- MOU - LWB & Office of the Regulator of Oil and Gas Operations (2014).
- MOU - LWB & National Energy Board (2013).
- MOU - LWB & Parks Canada (2012).