Applicants for Land Use Permits and Water Licences are encouraged to be familiar with the Acts and Regulations that govern the use of land and water, and the deposit of waste in the Mackenzie Valley. The Resources section of our website is dedicated to providing helpful and accurate information to all stakeholders. If you have ideas for content that would be helpful, please contact Simon Whitehouse via email.
- LWB Waste and Wastewater Management Policy (2023).
- LWB Engagement and Consultation Policy (2023).
- LWB Water Use Fee Policy (2021).
- Land and Water Board Transboundary Policy (2019).
- Information for Proponents on the MVLWB's Engagement Requirements.
- LWB/GNWT Guidelines for Effluent Mixing Zones (2023).
- LWB/GNWT/CIRNAC Guidelines for Closure and Reclamation Cost Estimates for Mines (2022).
- LWB Guide to the Water Licensing Process (2021).
- LWB Guide to the Land Use Permitting Process (2021).
- LWB Guideline for the Design, Operation, Monitoring, Maintenance and Closure of Petroleum Hydrocarbon-Contaminated Soil Treatment Facilities in the Northwest Territories (2020).
- LWB/GNWT Guidelines for Aquatic Effects Monitoring Programs (2019).
- LWB Engagement Guidelines for Applicants and Holders of Water Licences and Land Use Permits (2018).
- LWB Guidelines for the Closure and Reclamation of Advanced Mineral Exploration and Mine Sites in the Northwest Territories (2013).
- LWB Guidelines for Developing a Waste Management Plan (2011).
- MVEIRB Guidelines for Incorporating Traditional Knowledge in Environmental Impact Assessment (2005).
- LWB Document Submission Standards (2023).
- LWB Standard Process for Setting Effluent Quality Criteria (2023).
- LWB Standard Water Licence Conditions and Schedules - Version 2.0 (.word) (.pdf) (2023).
- LWB Geospatial Data Submission Standards (2021).
- LWB Method for Determining Winter Water Source Capacity for Small-Scale Developments (2021).
- LWB Standard Outline for Management Plans (2021).
- GNWT Standards for Reporting Water Quality Information (2020).
- LWB Standard Land Use Permit Conditions Template - Version 2.3 (.word) (.pdf) (2020).
- LWB Standard Process for New Conditions (2013).
MVLWB/GNWT Operation and Maintenance Plan Templates for Municipal Water Licences:
- Sewage Disposal Facilities (SDF) (2018).
- Solid Waste Disposal Facilities (SWDF) (2018).
- Water Treatment Plant (WTP) (2018).
- Spill Contingency Plan (2018).
Determinations and Decisions
- LWB Reasons for Decision on the Interpretation of Subsection 26 of the MVLUR - April 22_21
- LWB City of Yellowknife Determination – Aug 18_11
- Frequently Asked Questions – City of Yellowknife Determination
Memorandums of Understanding
- MOU - LWB & Office of the Regulator of Oil and Gas Operations (2014).
- MOU - LWB & National Energy Board (2013).
- MOU - LWB & Parks Canada (2012).